I am working on the artistic challenge for my guild’s show. It is not a copy but an interpretation of a greeting card. So I held a contest with my facebook friends: I would pick one of their holiday greeting cards as the model for this challenge. I would give the winner this quilt (wallhanging) after the show. Sheila D won with her card of a berry wreath. I loved the card and thought it would give me a wonderful artistic challenge. It is in progress now, and has been for some time, and I have a shot at actually finishing it by April 26th, the day I have to deliver it to the show. I was starting to get worried.
I first cut a background piece and then drew a large circle on it. Then I starting cutting out berries from a variety of red fabrics, and some orange and pink for sparkle. Made a few leaves too. Then I cut a 2 inch wide circle of a red/pink/green batik for a wreath background. Then I started gluing everything on. Yup, glue stick. This is a raw edge applique method. I will be putting a piece of tulle over the top of everything and then quilting through all the layers. That is the next step. I welcome your ideas on how to quilt this. I’m thinking lots of free motion circles for starters.
I think it is looking just like I want. The next part is the hardest for me and the most challenge… the quilting. I’d love to hear your suggestions.
Maybe I should have a contest for guessing the number of berries on the wreath. Nah, then I’d have to count them!
And just for good measure, Friday the Cat thinks I should just chillax, don’t stress, it will come to me. He is a Zen Cat. He jumped up to that narrow windowsill and didn’t disturb my small rock garden sculpture. (Hampton Beach rocks of course) No, they are not glued together.